In the past few years, I have got many clients who come and tell me “we don’t want heavy party makeup, we just want simple makeup!” Well, let me explain what a party makeup means from a Makeup Artist’s point of view.
Party Makeup In Brief
A party makeup is any amount of makeup done on a client. The client who is going for a celebration of some kind like it could be your friend’s wedding or your child’s birthday party or a bachelor party etc. There is no SIMPLE or HEAVY party makeup. It is just a makeup for an occasion where you are a part of the celebration and not the center of attraction. So, the makeup has to be done according to what occasion it is. What’s your role in it but my job as a Makeup Artist is to make you look attractive and the best version of YOU. Simple or heavy makeup is secondary.
For any makeup, the first concern is to know the personality and comfort level of the client because what may be simple to some, may be heavy for others. Party Makeup is tricky because judging a client’s expectation in such a situation is difficult. There are people who show super glamorous makeup and say “we want this kind of LIGHT makeup”, without realizing that the model’s eyes are pitch dark with a lot of contouring on the face.
Take Care about the Following
When you hire a makeup artist to get dressed for a party, be clear about the following things:
1. What outfit are you going to wear?
2. What kind of gathering is it? A family function, a cocktail party with friends, farewell party etc.
3. Are the reference pictures that you are sharing with the artist relevant to your occasion?
4. To what extent do you want the artist to copy the look from the reference pictures? Is there scope for change?
5. What is your role in this party? Whether you are a casual attendee or one of the hosts?
6. The jewelry that you want to wear.
Discuss all these questions with your makeup artist at length. Try and understand each other’s perspective so that on the D-day your makeup is exactly what you expected and that you are looking just how you wanted to.
Here are a few Party Makeovers which can give you a fair idea of the versatility and creativity that goes into a party makeup.